How to Protect your Basement from Mold
Mold grows rapidly in dark and damp places, making your basement a prime environment from mold growth if not properly maintained. SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island has created a simple step by step list to keep your basement mold free! It is important to be proactive in keeping your basement free from mold because once it is present, it can become a big problem.
- Check the humidity level in your basement. A hygrometer is an inexpensive tool used to check humidity levels and can be purchased online or at your local hardware store. If the humidity level is above 45% then you need to reduce the humidity level in your basement.
- Put a dehumidifier in your basement. This is a great tool to have in your home regardless of a high humidity level because the humidity of your basement can change due to the weather outside. High quality dehumidifiers check the level of humidity in the room and adjust accordingly.
- Keep the clutter in your basement to a minimum. Items that are capable of storing moisture such as books or clothing can become a source for mold growth. Make sure to store these items in moisture resistant containers such as plastic bins and to store them slightly away from walls and off of the ground.
- Keep the water away from your basement. Make sure your gutters aim away from your home.
- Clean up any spills that occur in your basement immediately.
- Protect your pipes. In the winter months, pipes are prone to freezing and then bursting when temperatures rise. If your pipes are insulated this will prevent possible bursting and reduce condensation from the pipes which provides additional protection from high humidity levels in your basement.
- If your washing machine and dryer are in the basement make sure that all connections are properly sealed and exhausting to the outdoors.
- During the warmer months, air out your basement. Open the doors and windows while using a fan in the basement to circulate in fresh air.
SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island knows that home maintenance can be a big task so we’ve created this simple list to help you upkeep your home quickly and effectively. If you think your basement has mold growth, call SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island 718-979-4100 for a free estimate today!