SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island is proud to be sponsoring the Ferry Hawks program called the Harbor Hero Program, in which one civil servant or community volunteer will be honored at each home game as the Harbor Hero of the Game.
We are excited to be working alongside members of our community to honor the heroes and leaders we walk by everyday. At SERVPRO, we are more than a cleanup and restoration company, we are a part of the community we service and actively participate in it! We encourage everyone to take a look at it and consider nominating someone you feel fits the role of Harbor Hero
The team website describes the program as follows:
“Staten Island is a borough full of everyday heroes and essential workers who take care of their families and their neighborhoods. Staten Island is known for the heavy presence of first responders, civil servants, the Staten Island Coast Guard Station and Fort Wadsworth.
“The Harbor Hero of the Game Nomination is the FerryHawks’ way to honor one of Staten Island’s own heroes each game who protect us and support us on a daily basis. Help us recognize these special men and women that give it their all for the community we call home.
“Fill out the request form below and we will chose one special individual for each of our 66 home games to be honored before the game!”
Winter is Gone, and Spring is Here-
With winter behind us, New Yorkers can look forward to blooming flowers and spring cleaning now. To make sure your home is in good shape, here are some tips to inspect for damage, these will not only save you money in the long term but prevent unnecessary property damage. Even after a mild winter, it is critical to assess your property’s exterior to make sure the cold weather hasn’t left you with damages you didn’t expect. It is also important to react quickly and take the necessary steps to prevent property damage from combining with the effects of rain showers to come this spring. Winter weather can be hard on your residential and commercial property, make sure to look for problems that frigid temperatures, snow and ice may have caused.
Winter storms are accompanied by lots of moisture – snow, freezing rain, ice, hail and wind. This can cause common issues like ice dams, frozen pipes and frost heave that may cause damage to your home or business. SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island is always there to help resolve your property damage restoration needs as soon as you call us, 24/7. Our local disaster restoration services includes:
- Inspection and Assessment of any damaged areas
- Water Removal
- Water Extraction
- Drying and Dehumidification
- Cleaning and Repairs
- Restoration and Reconstruction, as necessary.
There are several common problem areas to inspect during spring for potential damage, including your roof and gutter system, foundation and yard, plumbing system and your property’s exterior. From the top down these areas could see potential damage from the worst that the winter elements can bring. From your roof to your plumbing, here are some signs of damage to look out for:
- Roof and Gutter System Damage
- Window, Door and Exterior Damage
- Foundation and Other Drainage Problems
- Plumbing Damage
- Preventing Property Damage Starts With Routine Inspection
If you've noticed any of these above issues just give us a call at Give us a call!
Candle and Fire Safety at Home
Being safe with candles in your Staten Island home, and why-
The facts about candles:
- 38% of home fires caused by candles start in bedrooms and cause 35% of fire related deaths.
- More than half of all candle home fires start because the candle was too close to an incognito source like a: mattresses, bedding, curtains, cabinetry, or furniture.
- 12% of home candle fires the occupants were asleep, and 25% of these cases were associated deaths and injuries.
- Unsupervised children are involved in 20% of home candle fires.
- Having a working smoke alarm reduces one’s chances of dying in a fire by nearly half.
Tips to prevent disaster-
- Remember that lit candles are fire.
- Keep them at least 12 inches from anything that can become an ignition source
- Never leave the house, or go to sleep before blowing out all lit candles.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
- Using candle holders that are made from a material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax is also a smart idea.
- Place candles where they cannot be touched by pets or children.
- During an emergency, opt for flashlights instead of candles as a light source.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. Additionally, keep all other fire sources out of reach of children.
- Keep all lit candles and any other open flames away from flammable liquids.
Had a Fire? What's next?
What is next after a fire?
Limit the movement in the home to prevent the spread of soot particles and keep them from being embedded into upholstery and carpets. Keep your hands clean so as not to further soil the upholstery, walls, or woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change the HVAC filters.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air vents.
- Fire restoration requires specialized training, and these steps illustrate our fire restoration process.
- Call SERVPRO
Emergency Contact - The restoration process begins when you call the SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island Customer Care Center, which is staffed 24 hours a day, each day of the week. Our specialist will ask a series of questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us dispatch our Professional's with the appropriate equipment and resources. Our SERVPRO Professionals will carefully inspect and test adjoining rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action. We are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 354 days a year. Contact SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island if you have any questions. We are here to help you!
Dealing With a Puffback
You had a puff back in your Staten Island home, now what?
A puff normally occurs when an oil burner doesn't ignite immediately, causing oil fumes to build up before ignition, resulting in an explosion similar to the backfiring of a car. This can also occur from a lack of maintenance, a buildup of debris can also create an excessive explosion upon ignition. In either case, it will spray soot and debris through the furnace or boiler's exhaust system all through your home/property… creating a serious mess
If you have a forced air system the problem will be worse, the heating ducts spread soot into every corner of your home in a fine layer that seems impossible to remove, this occurs the same way the vents spread heat. A puff back can be a serious problem, with each ignition sending varying amounts of soot, it makes its way into heating vents, ceilings, carpets, baseboards, etc. Or sometimes is a single sudden event that shoots out a large amount of soot into the heating system causing just as much of a mess.
What Should You Do Now?
It is quite problematic how much area soot can cover, it goes everywhere, and into places you wouldn't expect. It can even force you out of your home in bad cases. This soot is not just a powdery substance, but it is also black and sticky because it is a mixture of oil and debris that becomes difficult to clean without proper equipment. This dirty residue must to be cleaned as soon as possible or staining and odor can become much worse. In addition to the debris the soot leaves behind, a puff back will create an odor that will seep through your home. So, what should you do now?
Assess the situation and the amount of damage that was done
- Wash all affected clothing and fabrics in the house - some may require professional dry cleaning
- Throw away all exposed food
- Call a repairman to fix the malfunctioning oil furnace
- Call a cleaning service to take care of the soot and chemicals
- And that's where you need a puffback specialist to thoroughly clean and deodorize all affected items and SERVPRO is available 24/7 to assist!
Proper Fire Alarm Disposal and replacements
Why you need to dispose of your fire alarms the right way-
Smoke detectors using an ionization chamber contain small amounts of radiation that are safe in your home, but when they are thrown away can cause harm to the environment. Smoke detectors that are not properly discarded and are thrown into the trash or burned will release their radioactive material into the environment, making proper disposal is very important.
When to replace them and how-
The average life expectancy of an ionization smoke detector is 10 years, after this the sensors begin to lose their sensitivity. If you check the back, you can find the manufacturing date of your smoke detector. Once you have checked the back, you can replace the smoke alarm with a new one if you find that it is more than 10 years old or the test button does not work.
You can return your old or unneeded smoke detector to the original manufacturer for disposal as hazardous waste, or if you have a recycling center near you in Staten Island that handles these materials, bring them there. The brand name and/or address can be found on the back of the device, online or in the user’s manual. After removing the battery and recycling those properly, return the entire unit intact with a note indicating that the device is intended for disposal. Detectors should be mailed by ground mail so they are not on an airplane.
Clean Ducts For Your Employees
Why SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island?
If you clean your air duct system incorrectly or use improper tools, you can worsen the condition of your air quality. At SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island, we have our own tested, and proven approach to cleaning air vents – we use the highest quality professional equipment and environmentally safe cleaners to effectively clean and purify your air ducts.
As a result, you will notice an improvement in the air quality from cleaning your air vents, it is safeguarding the health of your employees, especially in the midst of the pandemic. In addition, our team of air duct cleaning specialists will assess the condition of your system if you believe there are any pre-existing conditions (such as mildew, mold growth, etc.).
Cleaner Air is a Safer Work Space
The air inside your office building can be two to five times more polluted than air outside. When dust, debris and other contaminants begin to build up in your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system over time, they can trigger allergies and other issues. And they even reduce energy efficiency, in turn increasing your energy costs.
After we have completed the evaluation and inspection, we create and provide our customers with a plan, outlining the work to be performed and a time frame for completing it. Next, our certified technicians use our specialty equipment to remove the pollutants. SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island HVAC cleaning division systematically cleans every component of your building’s ventilation system.
We maintain an open line of communication with all centers of Influence throughout the entire cleaning process, available 24/7. Our goal is to ensure minimal disruption to your business operations and get you back on track as fast as possible. After SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island’s air duct cleaning is complete, we conduct a final inspection and provide each customer with daily progress reports throughout.
Our approach ensures that we make a difference from other companies out there, we want you to be completely satisfied with the results and make "Like it never even happened."
Christmas Tree Fire Safety!
Christmas Tree Fire Facts
Play it safe this Christmas season
It was found that between 2015 and 2019, United States fire departments responded to an average 160 home fires that started from Christmas trees per year. And from that these fires caused an average of two deaths, 12 injuries and $10 million in direct property damage annually. You definitely do not want to add to those numbers this year. At SERVPRO we do fire cleanups and restorations frequently, seeing the toll it can have is the reason we want to share some advice to stay safe this winter.
Here are some tips we have below:
- Get a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Cut 2" from the base of the trunk before placing it down.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators or lights.
- Add water to the tree stand daily so it does not dry out.
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Don't use anything that gets warm.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
Water Damage- Call SERVPRO
Here at SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island we know that water damage can occur at anytime and can leave property owners with the stress of needing to fix the destruction as soon as possible. Our professionally trained restoration crew will assess the damage and use the proper equipment to have your property back to its original state in no time.
In this specific apartment, the owner had called us when a water damage situation occurred. We came to assess the crisis immediately and set up dehumidifiers and dryers as soon as. Possible. Our customer was extremely happy with how fast and thorough our crew was.
We know that some situations are out of our control. We are a 24-hour emergency service that you can call to evaluate the damage and set up the necessary equipment immediately.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island today at 718-979-4100 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.