Recent Mold Remediation Posts
How to Limit Mold in your Properites
Preventing mold, whether is be in your home or in your business, is always a step in the right direction. The trick is, there is one major key to preventing mold in your property: having proper moisture control. Below are a few simple tips:
1. Unfortunately for you, mold cant be avoided completely. However, you can limit its presence with getting rid of anything damp in your home and making sure temperature control is constant and equal throughout the house. If it costs money upfront to do a little remediation such as waterproofing, its most likely worth it in the long run.
2. Closely monitor the humidity levels in your home or office, especially in the summer. Changes in temperature throughout the days and weeks is a primary catalyst for the formation of mold. Humidity is recommended to be a certain level by the EPA. They suggest that it should be in between the range of 30-60% in any room. Falling within these parameters will prove to be beneficial.
3. Avoid external sources of water that may be sneakily placed around your property. Avoid any place where water can collect (especially rain water near the sides of your property) and remove or alter any area that may cause an issue like this.
Use these helpful tips to prevent the stress of finding unwanted mold!
Mold is a furry fungi growth that occurs and thrives in the presence of moisture. Although mold has existed for millions of years and they are everywhere even in the atmosphere, they can cause some serious health and financial damage in many numbers. Some people are seriously sensitive and allergic to molds and its presence can cause stuffiness, throat irritation, wheezing and many more severe reactions.
Molds can enter into households through open doorways, windows, vents and even air conditioning systems. Humans can also carry molds on them through clothes, shoes, pets, bags etc. The mold would then attach itself on moist surfaces, paper and wood based surfaces and on walls too.
Mold growth can cause decay of such surfaces and can cause breakage or complete and total destruction. They can cause collapse of surfaces and this can be dangerous especially in places where there are children. The growth may look likes spots of different colors. They may grow on food and pose a great huge health risk.
Mold control is easy especially in situations where it is not so advanced.
- You can control all the humidity levels in a household to prevent growth and spread of the mold
- By fixing all leaky surfaces and roofs in the house. The windows, basement, pipes and walls where the pipes run through
- In case of flooding, it is very crucial that a house, building be cleaned thoroughly in order to prevent the mold.
- Ventilation and any living space, showers, cooking areas like the kitchen to prevent stuffiness that might lead to molding is crucial.
In cases where the mold is uncontrollable there will be need to call for professional help. Calling mold inspectors is often the smart move to ensure complete removal of mold. Continuous mold inspections and testing is important.
Mold Management and Removal
Choosing a mold damage management company can be stressful as you are not sure which contractor to trust. We are unique since we provide our clients in New York City and Manhattan with quality solutions to mold damage problems.
Our staff is experienced and has been in this field for decades, and this allows them to come up with unique methods of mold elimination.
The presence of water in your building either at your home or business can lead to excessive growth of mold. They can quickly spread to basements, bathrooms, walls and any other areas prone to moisture contact.
Other than property destruction, mold can affect the overall health of the buildings' inhabitants. Some of the effects of mold include;
- Nasal stuffiness
- Eye irritation
- Skin irritation
- Shortness of breath
Also, the growth of mold presents a threat to your property value which could cost you a lot in maintenance expenses.
To avoid such things from happening to you, let us help you to get rid of mold and any other threatening signs completely. To achieve this, we;
Identify and remove the cause of mold
This is always the first because if we do not get rid of the roots, mold will keep coming back. The mistake that most homeowners make is thinking that they can get rid of mold by just cleaning and disinfecting the areas. Some use homemade bleach to wipe the surfaces forgetting that they leave behind the bio-smile causing the mold.
After collecting the causes, we start the remediation process. We eliminate mold in all affected areas like the bathroom using the help of our experts and quality products ensuring that your home is left in a pleasant state.
Mold removal is not an easy task as many individuals think. If done improperly you will keep seeing mold appearing in your home despite the repeated cleaning attempts. Bleach and other household cleaning products do not kill mold. The best remedy is eliminating all the moisture as it is the catalyst for mold growth. Therefore, homeowners should not attempt to remove mold if the affected area is over 10 square feet. It is best if done by a certified mold management professional and that why we are here to help all the New York City and Manhattan dwellers. Contact us today to book an appointment.
How to Protect your Basement from Mold
Mold grows rapidly in dark and damp places, making your basement a prime environment from mold growth if not properly maintained. SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island has created a simple step by step list to keep your basement mold free! It is important to be proactive in keeping your basement free from mold because once it is present, it can become a big problem.
- Check the humidity level in your basement. A hygrometer is an inexpensive tool used to check humidity levels and can be purchased online or at your local hardware store. If the humidity level is above 45% then you need to reduce the humidity level in your basement.
- Put a dehumidifier in your basement. This is a great tool to have in your home regardless of a high humidity level because the humidity of your basement can change due to the weather outside. High quality dehumidifiers check the level of humidity in the room and adjust accordingly.
- Keep the clutter in your basement to a minimum. Items that are capable of storing moisture such as books or clothing can become a source for mold growth. Make sure to store these items in moisture resistant containers such as plastic bins and to store them slightly away from walls and off of the ground.
- Keep the water away from your basement. Make sure your gutters aim away from your home.
- Clean up any spills that occur in your basement immediately.
- Protect your pipes. In the winter months, pipes are prone to freezing and then bursting when temperatures rise. If your pipes are insulated this will prevent possible bursting and reduce condensation from the pipes which provides additional protection from high humidity levels in your basement.
- If your washing machine and dryer are in the basement make sure that all connections are properly sealed and exhausting to the outdoors.
- During the warmer months, air out your basement. Open the doors and windows while using a fan in the basement to circulate in fresh air.
SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island knows that home maintenance can be a big task so we’ve created this simple list to help you upkeep your home quickly and effectively. If you think your basement has mold growth, call SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island 718-979-4100 for a free estimate today!
Importance of professional mold removal
Staten Island Mold Removal Services
Staten Island, New York Mold Removal
When you find mold in your home or business, it's important to have it removed as soon as possible. The best and safest way to do that is to use SERVPRO of Midtown Manhattan.
One of the biggest problems with mold is that it spreads quickly. If you have mold you can see on a wall or floor, there likely is more mold in places that you can't see. Getting the mold professionally removed ensures that you prevent it from spreading any further and doing any more damage to your home or building.
Another major problem with mold is that it is a health hazard. The presence of mold can exacerbate allergy and asthma symptoms, especially in children. Having the mold professionally removed takes away this health hazard.
Removing mold is hard, dangerous work. Trying to do it yourself can be difficult and also can put your safety at risk. People have contracted serious respiratory illnesses from inhaling mold spores. Having the mold professionally removed ensures that the job is done right and that your safety and health are protected.
What Is Mold?
Did you know there are different types of mold?
Molds are microscopic organisms that live on plant or animal matter. They aid in the break down of dead material and recycle nutrients in the environment. Present virtually everywhere, they can be found growing on organic material such as soil, foods, and plant matter. In order to reproduce, molds produce spores, which spread through air, water, or by insects. These spores act like seeds and can form new mold growth if the conditions are right.
Why does mold grow?
Mold will grow and multiply under the right conditions, needing only sufficient moisture (e.g., in the form of very high humidity, condensation, or water from a leaking pipe, etc.), and organic material (e.g., ceiling tile, drywall, paper, or natural fiber carpet padding).
Can mold become a problem in my home?
Mold growth may occur in your home if there is sufficient moisture because mold spores are everywhere. Be on the lookout for these common sources of moisture:
*Plumbing leaks, drainage problems
*Damp basements and crawl spaces
*Steam from the bathroom or kitchen
*Condensation resulting from poor or improper insulation or ventilation
*Wet clothes drying inside the home or a clothes dryer venting indoors
*Poor or improper ventilation of combustion appliances
*Indications of a moisture problem may include discoloration of the ceiling or walls, warping of the floor, or condensation on the walls or windows. The key to preventing mold growth is to control all moisture problems.
DON’T LET MOLD INVADE YOUR HOME/CALL US FOR AN IMMEDIATE SOLUTION