Staten Island Water Damage
Living in New York, water damage can be a common and very devastating thing. While there are many causes such as leaking/bursting pipes in apartments, issues with plumbing in homes, or even a natural disaster there is a way to restore the damage depending on the situation. Unfortunately, in some cases, there is a chance that some items aren't capable of restoring, for example, some items soaked in water past forty-eight hours can reach a point of no return. On the flip side certified professional water damage restoration specialist can tell the best way to restore water damage to property or if it can even be restored.
Keep in mind one of the best things a person can do is make sure their insurance policy will cover any water damage in the unfortunate event of a disaster. Although making sure to take steps to prevent water damage from happening in the first place will always be the recommended first and best choice.
Tips For Avoiding Water Damage:
-Keep a close eye on your water bill
Sometimes leaks can happen in our homes that we have no idea about and by the time you realize it, there is water damage left behind that's irreversible or you end up coming out of pocket to fix not only the leak but the water damage too. Monitoring your bill can help you catch if it reaches an unusually high amount which can indicate a leak.
-Maintain clean roof gutters
Most times roof gutters can get overlooked but it's important to clean it out at least once a month. Things such as leaves, sticks, debris that has blown around in the air, and even bird nests could be clogging your gutter. This in return can send water flowing into your home on a rainy day.
After the Storm: Quick and Effective Water Damage Restoration Process
Water damage is one of the long-term destructive substances in the indoor home environment. Flooding can lead to structure destruction and cause the personal property to deteriorate rapidly. The issue becomes severe if the cleanup service is delayed.
The harmful impacts of water can significantly be minimized by a prompt and efficient clean up within 24-48 hours. Even if the flooding may seem severe, a quick cleanup and restoration produce amazing results. There are numerous causes of water damage which include;
- Natural hazards and weather-related water damage
- Building your house in an area prone to collecting water like basements and crawl space
- Malfunctioning of home appliances
- Problems with the plumbing system
- Leaking pipes
- Sewage backups
Regardless of the cause, we are here to help you and ensure that your building goes back to its prior state.
If water damage restoration is not quickly and appropriately done, it could lead to significant losses like business interruption, health risks, and other financial burdens. When conducting a water damage restoration, we follow the following steps;
When you contact us for a water damage restoration, our contractors come to your property and perform a thorough evaluation of the damage done. This provides them with a clear understanding of the method to use for the remediation. They will then develop a strategic plan to maximize the restoration process.
Getting rid of water
Through a strategic plan derived by the specialists, they start the water removal process. It involves the use of specialized equipment like power pumps and vacuums to ensure no moisture left.
After removing the excess moisture, we perform the drying and dehumidifying process. After water removal, the floor and walls are likely to retain excess water, and this step is meant to get rid of that moisture as it can cause warping and swelling of the property leading to further destruction.
Cleaning the property
This is the final step which involves cleaning and removing any debris caused by the water damage. This will also include treatment, disinfectant, and odor removal treatment.
After the Rain: Restoring your valuables
Restoring your valuables
The chances of restoring your furniture after a flood highly depend on the magnitude of the flooding and the furniture type. But obviously, less porous solid wood furniture has a higher chance of being salvaged than the particle board or upholstered furniture. Even though restoring water ruined valuables seems to be an easier task, it is better you leave it to professionals. Immediately after a flood, consider doing the following:
- Act fast but also respect all the contents in it. Damages on your valuables will be severe if you allow more time to pass after the flood.
- Move salvageable furniture to drier areas to start the drying process.
- Remember to take some photos of the damaged items. These photos may help you when filing an insurance claim. When deciding on the furniture pieces to restore you have to consider the damage severity, the sentimental value and the total cost of restoration.
- You can also salvage your upholstered furniture if it came into contact with a smaller amount of clean water – during the flooding. Remember to separate your upholstery fabrics and the other colored items – this will prevent bleeding. Never dry it as this may lead to mildew or mold growth.
Always protect your home from floods. But if anything unexpected happens, our technicians are always ready to help customers with valuables restoration. You can contact us at any time particularly if you are looking for the best services.
Repair Water Damage In Staten Island
Staten Island Water Damage Restoration Service
Has your Staten Island property been damaged by a flood or some other natural disaster? SERVPRO of Southern Staten Island is the company that will come to your rescue. After your home or business has been damaged by water, there are a few tips you can take before we arrive.
- Mop and blot excess water.
- Remove tabletop items.
- Remove excess water from wood furniture.
- Turn air conditioner on for maximum drying in summer months.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Gather loose items from floors.
Staten Island SERVPRO will provide:
- 24-hour emergency services
- Highly-trained technicians
- Trusted leader in water restoration
- Advanced water inspection, extraction and drying equipment
Our Restoration Process
We are available to take your calls 24 hours a day. Be prepared to answer questions about your specific water damage. We need to know what equipment to bring and how many professionals to send to complete the job quickly and efficiently.
- We assess the damage.
- Identify and stop water source.
- Identify type of water.
- Move furniture.
- Remove water.
- Dry the area.
- Clean and sanitize.
- Restore your home or business to pre-water damaged condition.
- Replace drywall.
- Install new carpet.
- Reconstruct areas or rooms.
- Temporarily board up buildings.